This Roasted Asparagus with Lemon is super easy to make and is a great healthy side dish for any meal.
I’ve been roasting a lot of vegetables lately, like Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts, or Red Peppers. In the fall and winter I typically roast all of my vegetables. There’s just something about the aroma it gives off when cooking that makes your whole house smell wonderful.
I love the taste of roasted vegetables. Roasting gives the veggies a unique flavor that you don’t get when steaming or boiling. By cooking them slowly in the oven it gives them sort of a carmelized look and really enhances their natural flavor.
When I roast Asparagus, I trim off a bit of the ends first. Just find the ends where the green color fades and snap off the ends or cut it with a knife. The ends are tough and have sort of a woody flavor, so it’s best just to get rid of them.
I like to experiment with different oils and herbs to put over my veggies. There’s many different oils you can drizzle over them, like Olive Oil, Avocado Oil, Grape Seed Oil. You could even mix it up and put Balsamic Vinegar on them too.
I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil to drizzle over the Asparagus. Then I seasoned it with a little bit of Sea Salt and Pepper. You could add other seasonings too, like Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, the possibilities are endless!
Then I slice up a Lemon and place them on top of the Asparagus.
The Lemon really enhances the flavor of the Asparagus, so I find that I don’t need any other seasonings on this other than Salt and Pepper.
This side dish pairs really well with baked Salmon. If you’re looking for a good Salmon recipe, try my Baked Rosemary Salmon in Foil. They both take the same amount of time to cook and are so easy to prep. I’ve even made Salmon with the Asparagus all in the same foil pack, just place the Salmon over the Asparagus and wrap it up. If you don’t want to use foil, then putting them on a sheet pan works just as well.
I love it when I can just add everything to a sheet pan, put it in the oven, and in a short time I have a full complete meal! Ahhh it’s the little things. 🙂
What’s your favorite way to pair Asparagus? Leave a comment below, I love hearing what you guys come up with!
- 1 bunch of Asparagus
- 1 Lemon sliced into pieces
- 1 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- ⅛ tsp ground Sea Salt
- ⅛ tsp ground Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Rinse Asparagus and cut roughly ½ inch off of the bottom stem.
- Add to large roasting dish or baking sheet leaving a little space in between each one.
- Place the lemon slices on top of Asparagus.
- Drizzle Olive Oil over Asparagus.
- Sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
- Bake until tender or crunchy depending upon your preference, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- At about 10 minutes the Asparagus is cooked and has a slight crunch, which is how I prefer it. The longer you cook it, the more softer it gets. It tends to get a little stringy when cooked longer.