See how easy it is to cook up a pot of these Blueberry Coconut Steel-Cut Oats (gluten free)! We made this hearty breakfast Vegan and Gluten Free!
Let’s hear it for the breakfast lovers! Grab a blanket, put on some slippers, and let’s get cozy with a nice warm bowl of Blueberry Coconut Steel-Cut Oats.
I’m going to let you guys in on a little secret. This is the first time I’ve ever made oatmeal from scratch! Yep, I was one of those people that would usually buy the instant oatmeal in the single serve packages.
I actually had to quit eating oatmeal because I found out there is Gluten in it. So I figured my oatmeal days were over.
Well the other day I came across a bag of Bob’s Red Mill, Gluten Free Steel Cut Oats in my local grocery store. I thought to myself, ok let’s see if I can make some homemade oatmeal with this!
It turns out this was super easy to make! And Wayyy better than any package of instant oatmeal!
The key to making these Steel-Cut Oats taste amazing is to lightly toast them in some Coconut Oil first. Heat the Oats in a frying pan on med-high heat for about 2 minutes until they are nice and fragrant. Trust me, your kitchen will smell amazing from this!
While your Oats are toasting start heating up the Water, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, and Coconut Milk in a large saucepan over medium heat. When this starts simmering add in the Oats.
Reduce the heat to med-low making sure to keep it at a nice low simmer. Stir occasionally for about 30 minutes.
Now you’re probably thinking 30 minutes is a long time to make breakfast. Trust me, it will be worth every warm creamy bite! This batch makes 4 servings, so you can always make this ahead of time and keep it in the fridge. Then just heat it up in the microwave in the morning for a quick breakfast.
You can add the topping of your choice to this. I chose to add Blueberries and some Shredded Coconut.
I usually have a bag of frozen Blueberries in my freezer for making smoothies, so I just took out some of those and put them in my bowl to thaw while the Oats were cooking. The nice thing about frozen Blueberries is that when they thaw you get a bit of Blueberry juice as well, which is perfect for stirring into these Oats.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
Blueberry Coconut Steel-Cut Oats (Gluten Free)
See how easy it is to cook up a pot of these Blueberry Coconut Steel-Cut Oats! We made this hearty breakfast Vegan and Gluten Free!
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- 3 cups Water
- 1 cup Unsweetened Coconut Milk, I use So Delicious brand, this can be found in the milk section of your grocery store
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Gluten Free Steel-Cut Oats, I use Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 cup frozen or fresh Blueberries
- 1 Tbs Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- In a large saucepan add Water, Vanilla Extract, Sea Salt, and Coconut Milk.
- Heat over med heat to bring to a simmer.
- While that’s heating up, in a large frying pan add Coconut Oil and Oats.
- Heat over med-high heat about 2 minutes until Oats are toasted and aromatic, this step enhances the Oat flavor.
- Stir in the Oats to the simmering Water/Coconut Milk.
- Reduce heat to med-low simmering gently for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat as needed and stir to prevent any scorching.
- This will thicken and almost all of the liquid will be absorbed at the end.
- Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Oats should be thick and creamy when done.
- Add Blueberries and top with shredded Coconut.
Keywords: Blueberry Coconut Steel-Cut Oats, steel-cut oats, breakfast, gluten free, vegan
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!
Discloser: There are Amazon Affiliate links in this post.