This Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is so rich and creamy, you would never know it’s dairy free AND gluten free! This soup is true comfort food!
I grew up eating Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in Minnesota. I mean, I actually knew people who harvested wild rice and sold it which was super cool! So we always had bags of this rice on hand.
When I realized I had a gluten sensitivity, I thought I could never eat this soup again, because normally it’s made with a roux which has flour in it.
So the first time I tried making this gluten free I decided to opt out of making a roux, and just poured in a can of full fat coconut milk at the very end.
It still turned out good, but had a coconut flavor (obviously), and it wasn’t as thick. I liked the coconut flavor, but it wasn’t the childhood comfort flavor I was looking for.
Back to the drawing board!
This time I decided to try soaking some Cashews in hot water and then blending them to create a cream sauce. I do this a lot as a dairy substitute, since my son has a dairy sensitivity.
A lot of people say to soak cashews overnight, but I didn’t find it necessary since I used boiling hot water. I just soaked them before starting on the soup.
Then set them aside to soak while I started on the soup. By the time the soup is almost done, they’re ready to blend up!
OMG you guys! I took one bite of this soup and it completely brought me back to my childhood memories of eating Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup!
You would never even guess there is no dairy in it. AMAZING!
I hope you love this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup as much as we did! It’s:
- Easy to make
- and SO SAVORY
Check out some of my other favorite soup recipes below!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it tastefulventure on Instagram!
I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup (Dairy Free!)
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 45
- Total Time: 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 8 cups Chicken Broth
- 3 medium Carrots chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks chopped
- 1 Sweet Onion chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 cup uncooked Wild Rice
- 1 tsp dried Parsley
- 1 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 tsp dried Sage
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 8 oz Baby Bella Mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup Raw Unsalted Cashews
- Place Cashews in a heat safe dish and cover them with boiling water
- Set aside, this will be used to make the cream later
- Add EVOO to 6 quart Dutch Oven and heat over med/high heat on stovetop
- When oil starts to shimmer, add Carrots, Celery, Onion, and Garlic
- Sauté 3-4 minutes
- Add Chicken, Wild Rice, Chicken Broth, and seasonings
- Cover and simmer on med/low heat for 30 minutes
- Add Cashews and the water they were soaking in to a Vitamix or high speed blender
- Blend until creamy
- Add the Cashew Cream and Mushrooms to the soup and cook 15 more minutes or until Rice is done
- Taste and add more Salt or Pepper to your liking
Keywords: Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup, chicken and wild rice soup, wild rice soup, soup, dairy free, gluten free