Now that it’s winter I’ve been craving a good hearty soup lately. This Skinny Kale Vegetable Soup only has 40 calories per serving and is so delicious!
In a hurry? Watch the 60 second recipe video below to learn how to make this! ↓
Yes it is officially winter in North Florida, brrrr! I woke up this morning to a frost advisory, it was 38 degrees outside. Yep time to dig out the warm wooly socks I bought when we were visiting family in Minnesota over the Christmas holiday a few weeks ago!
It’s so funny because nobody from back home (Minnesota) believes me when I say Florida gets cold in the winter. I mean it’s not ‘Minnesota cold’ here, but it does get cold. I’m about 10 minutes from the ocean in north east Florida, and let me tell ya when the cold air hits and comes in off of the ocean, it is bone chilling!
So lets all get out our wooly socks, hunker down with a blanket and slippers, and get our soup on!
This Skinny Kale Vegetable Soup is super easy to make and is so healthy and nutritious! Kale is such a super food.
Kale is high in fiber, rich in Vitamin A, an Vitamin K.
Kale is the perfect leafy vegetable to add to a good hearty vegetable soup, because the Kale Leaves are strong and hold together. In other words, after cooking this soup the Kale does not cook away.
I love making soup like this, basically you throw everything in a big pot and let simmer until the vegetables are softened enough to your liking.
You can tweak this along the way by tasting and adding more spices if you like.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
Skinny Kale Vegetable Soup
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: soup
- Cuisine: vegetarian, gluten free
- 12 cups water
- 6 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 6 cloves of garlic sliced thin
- A thumb of fresh ginger sliced thin
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 4 bay leaves
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 3 carrots sliced
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 yellow zucchini diced
- 4 oz sliced mushrooms (I used a gourmet blend of Shiitake, Oyster, and Bella)
- 4 dinosaur kale leaves chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of dried basil
- 2 tsp of thyme
- In a large stock pot, bring water to a boil and dissolve vegetable bouillon cubes.
- Once dissolved, add bay leaves, onion, garlic, and ginger until they begin to soften, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add celery, carrots, and red pepper, and continue to cook 4-5 minutes.
- Once simmering add yellow zucchini, mushrooms, and kale leaves.
- Season with salt, pepper, oregano, basil, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer on med-low heat for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove from heat, then remove Bay Leaves, (Do not eat the Bay Leaves), serve immediately.
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!