Today is Meatless Monday! These Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes are so easy to make and taste so delicious, you may never want to eat meat again!
Well maybe that’s a stretch, but honestly this veggie burger tastes way better than any meat burger I’ve had in the past.
I actually quit eating beef about 3 years ago, mainly due to digestive issues. Since then I’ve been making plenty of recipes that normally would have beef in it, but are now a healthy vegetarian version like this Skillet Vegetarian Chili Mac n Cheese or this Lentil and Black Bean chili.
Now I’m not a vegetarian, but I do love to make vegetarian meals from time to time. It’s just so much healthier and I feel so much better.
Ok lets get into making this recipe!
My total meat eating 13 year old son loves these Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes!
You can save some time on this recipe by cooking the Quinoa the night before and storing it in your fridge.
I usually just cook my Quinoa and then chop up everything while it’s cooking. Then put everything in a bowl and make them into patties or cakes.
The best way to cook these is to bake them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This way is less messy and they won’t fall apart. They held together really well.
You could also grill these, but don’t set them directly on the grill or they may fall apart. Place a piece of tin foil on your grill and set the cakes on the tin foil. I haven’t tried this method because I live in a condo and don’t have easy access to a grill. If you try grilling these I would love to hear how they were, just leave me a comment below!
You can eat these Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes just like a burger, add it to a bun and top with your favorite ingredients.
I chose to eat these without a bun to save on Calories and make this meal Low Carb. I put them over a bed of Baby Spinach, it was soooo delicious!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
Sweet Potato Quinoa Cakes
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten free
- 1/2 cup dry Red Quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium size Sweet Potato
- 3 green onions chopped, white and green parts divided
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 2 eggs
- 6 Tbs flaxseed meal
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp ground Himalayan Pink salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tsp coriander
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground red cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- In medium sauce pan add Quinoa and water.
- Bring to a boil then cover and simmer on low 20 minutes.
- While Quinoa is cooking, peel sweet potato and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- Place potato pieces in microwave safe bowl and heat in high for 6 minutes or until soft.
- Let cooked Quinoa and potato cool 5 minutes or so before handling.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In large frying pan add coconut oil, chopped red pepper, and white parts of the green onion.
- Save the green parts of the onion when mixing everything together.
- Cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
- In large bowl add Quinoa, potato, green onions, red pepper, flaxseed, salt, pepper, coriander, chili powder, red cayenne pepper, and garlic salt.
- Add 2 eggs, mix well.
- Form into small cakes or patties with hands
- Place cakes on baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Cook 20 minutes flipping cakes half way through
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!