This Sunday there’s a little event called the SuperBowl in case you haven’t heard. 🙂
I’ll be making another big batch of this Lentil and Black Bean Chili for this, because it’s soooo delicious and I ate all of the current batch that I made! Oops!
Here’s a little secret, I don’t actually watch football. I’m like the 10% of people in this country that do not watch football I guess. With that being said, I always watch the SuperBowl. I enjoy the big game day mostly for the food, the commercials, and the half-time show.
This Lentil and Black Bean chili is Vegan, and so hearty that honestly you can’t even tell that there is not meat in it.
I recently discovered Lentils and I absolutely love the flavor of them. To me it’s one of the best beef replacements in certain meals, especially this chili!
This was actually my first time making a vegetarian chili and I was so happy with the way the flavor turned out on this.
I was so happy with it, that I took like a bazillion pictures of this chili, haha! Ah yes, the life of a food blogger. Sometimes I don’t think my friends and family really understand what I do, and that’s ok. They think I just take pictures of food and them put it online, lol, if it were only that easy! 🙂
Most food bloggers like myself put in countless hours putting together new recipes, setting up the photo shoot (A.K.A. my living room table), taking pictures, going through the hundreds of pics picking out which ones will be edited for the post, doing final edits on the photos, adding it to my website, and then doing all of the geeky SEO stuff that will hopefully get it noticed in the search engines. Oh yeah I almost forgot the social media part, adding the recipe posts to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc. Oh and I also started doing video recipes which I think are super cool, you can check them out on YouTube. (Pssst – there’s now a video recipe for this chili below!)
Whew! It’s no wonder I don’t have time to sit down and watch football! But that’s ok because I love what I do! And my friends and family like it because they all get to eat yummy food. 🙂
Sorry I got a little side tracked there, I just had to get that off of my chest.
Let’s get back to this Lentil and Black Bean Chili recipe!
Here’s what I love about this chili:
- It’s super healthy and totally Vegan
- It’s hearty and delicious
- It’s really easy to make, just throw everything in a pot and let it simmer until it’s done
- Everyone will love it, even the toughest critics like my 13 year old son
- You can make a big batch and freeze it
Check out the 60 second RECIPE Video for this below!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!
- 5 cups Vegetable Broth
- 1½ cups of dry Green Lentils
- 1 14.5oz can diced Tomatoes with fire roasted green chilis
- 1 15oz can Tomato Sauce
- 2 14oz cans of Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 large Sweet Onion chopped
- 1 large Red Pepper chopped
- 4 cloves finely chopped Garlic
- 1 Tbs Olive Oil
- 1 cup frozen Corn
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Truvia Brown Sugar
- In large pot add vegetable broth and lentils.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to med-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- While lentils are cooking, in a large pan add olive oil, onion, red pepper, and garlic.
- Saute 5-6 minutes until softened.
- When lentils have simmered for 20 minutes, add remainder of ingredients to pot.
- Simmer chili for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Do occasional taste tests and add more or less spice to your liking.
- ***Slow Cooker method below***
- In 6 quart slow cooker add vegetable broth, dry lentils, tomatoes, tomato sauce, black beans, onion, red pepper, garlic, corn, chili powder, cumin, and brown sugar.
- Stir until combined.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.