Putting a unique and totally flavorful spin on risotto with this Fennel Mushrooms Lemon and Mint Risotto!
Ok so I know it’s summer and it’s hot AF… well at least it is in Florida. Average summer temps are around 100 degrees. Whew!
Which means I’m inside most of the day with the AC on and cooking up a storm.
It’s kind of the reverse from living in Minnesota.
I would spend the winter months holed up in my house cooking delicious comfort food because it was too cold to go outside.
So no matter what the temp is outside, this Fennel Mushrooms Lemon and Mint Risotto is the perfect comfort food to get you through your day. 🙂
Now I used the green stem part of the Fennel for this recipe. I sautéed it up with the mushrooms first before starting the Risotto process.
If you’ve never made Risotto before, don’t panic! It’s really quite easy.
The trick is to never leave the stove unattended because there is constant stirring involved. In other words, there’s no time to be looking at Instagram Stories while you’re cooking, haha!
I love making Risotto because there are so many ways you can doctor it up. To be honest this combination was a complete experiment for me and it totally worked!
The combination of flavors from the Fennel, Mushrooms, Lemon, and Mint all blend perfectly together for a taste explosion in your mouth! Yasss!
I hope you guys love this Fennel Mushrooms Lemon and Mint Risotto as much as I did! It’s:
- Easy to make
- and Insanely Delicious!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it tastefulventure on Instagram!
I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Fennel Mushrooms Lemon and Mint Risotto
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Italian, Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 4 Tbs EVOO divided
- 2 Fennel Fronds sliced thin, about 1/2 cup (this is the thick green stem of the fennel)
- 4 oz sliced baby bella Mushrooms
- 2 Tbs finely chopped Shallots
- 1 cup Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- 1/2 cup Dry White Cooking Wine
- 2 cups heated Vegetable Stock
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Lemon Zest
- 1 Tbs Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbs fresh Mint leaves julienned
- 2 Tbs softened grass fed salted Butter
- 1/4 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat 2 Tbs EVOO in a medium saucepan over medium heat
- When the oil is warm add Fennel and Mushrooms
- Saute 1-2 minutes until softened and set aside in a bowl
- In the same saucepan add 2 Tbs EVOO and Shallots
- Saute 1 minute
- Add Rice and stir for 1-2 minutes until toasted
- Add White Wine and cook until Wine is reduced or evaporated
- Add in 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock and stir (it’s important to keep stirring – see notes below)
- When Vegetable Stock starts to get evaporated (after about 5 minutes), add another 1/2 cup of Vegetable Stock
- Add in Salt and stir
- Add 1/2 cup Vegetable Stock approximately every 5 minutes, stirring constantly (total cook time for the risotto is about 20 minutes)
- Taste the rice and when you are 1 minute before reaching the right bite “al dente” (meaning rice should be tender but still firm to the bite), add sautéed Fennel, Mushrooms, Lemon Zest, Lemon Juice, Mint, Butter and Parmesan Cheese.
- Turn off heat and stir quickly until creamy in texture.
- Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on top
- Serve immediately
- Make sure your Vegetable Stock stays hot. It’s important to add a little bit of the hot Vegetable Stock at a time so the rice is cooked slowly and the stock gets absorbed. This method releases the rice’s starches, producing a velvety, creamy dish.
- It’s very important to keep stirring the Risotto as it’s cooking, especially as the stock gets absorbed, to prevent scorching.
- If you run out of Vegetable Stock and you find this is too dry at the end, you can add in a little hot water as a substitute.