This Citrus Chicken and Quinoa Salad is so light and refreshing, it’s the perfect salad for spring!
Well it’s not quite spring yet, but I so am longing for spring. Is anyone else?
I love a good salad. I’m always trying to experiment and make different kinds of salads. Lately I’ve been trying to incorporate Quinoa into my salads since Quinoa is such a Superfood.
Quinoa is the perfect addition to this salad. You see Quinoa by itself can taste a little bland. But when it’s mixed in something like this Citrus Chicken and Quinoa Salad it tastes absolutely amazing!
I used red Quinoa for this recipe because I like the splash of color. You can use any color Quinoa though.
I’ve also been super excited to try my new Cast-Iron Grill Pan that I got from Cary for Christmas! We live in a condo, so we’re not allowed to grill on our balcony. I miss grilling, I just love the flavor of food especially Chicken that is cooked right off the grill.
This new grill pan I got totally saves the day for making food that tastes like it’s right off the grill! It’s so nice because now I have the ease of making grilled food right on my stovetop!
Ahh, it’s the little things that make me happy. 🙂
Here’s what I love about this salad:
- It has a light refreshing Citrus taste
- It’s packed with Vitamins and Protein
- It’s under 300 Calories and will leave you feeling full
- It’s super easy to make
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
- 1 cup dry Quinoa (I used red, you can use any color)
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb boneless skinless Chicken Breasts cooked and cut into bite size pieces
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- 1 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 red Apple cored and sliced into small pieces
- 1 Lime
- 2 large Oranges (use the juice from 1 for the dressing and peel and slice up the other for the salad)
- 1 Shallot minced (about 2 Tbs)
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 2 Tbs Honey
- Dash of Sea Salt and Pepper
- 1 Avocado diced
- 1 4 oz package of mixed green salad ( I used Pepper Greens )
- In medium saucepan add Quinoa and water.
- Heat on high until it comes to a boil.
- Cover and reduce heat to low for 15-20 minutes until Quinoa is fully cooked.
- While Quinoa is cooking, start cooking chicken.
- In large frying pan add Coconut Oil and Chicken.
- Sprinkle Lemon Pepper Seasoning over Chicken.
- Cook over med/high heat until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink.
- Let Quinoa cool a bit before mixing everything in. ( I made my quinoa the night before and put it in the fridge until I was ready to use it ).
- In large bowl add Quinoa, Chicken, Apple, 1 Orange peeled and cut into pieces, and Avocado.
- To make the dressing I used a mason jar with a lid:
- Add juice from 1 Lime
- Add juice from the other Orange
- Tbs EVOO
- Tbs Honey
- Minced Shallot
- Shake jar vigorously, then pour over Quinoa mixture.
- Serve over mixed greens.
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!
Discloser: This post contains Amazon Affiliate links.