This Mexican Street Corn Salad is perfect for your next BBQ or get together, this is a crowd favorite!
I used fresh corn kernels off of the cob which makes every bite bursting with flavor in your mouth.
I just love summer, don’t you? I mean what’s not to love, the lazy days in the sun, playing at the beach, spending time with friends at a BBQ…I could go on and on. I guess that’s why I moved to the Sunshine State, where they say it’s ‘the endless summer’.
I’m always looking for good summer salads to make, ones that are cold, and are easy to make for get togethers.
This Mexican Street Corn Salad is so easy to make.
I start off with fresh corn on the cob. I use anywhere from 4-5 ears. Then I carefully cut the kernels off of the cob and add them to a large bowl. Note: You don’t need to cook the corn, it’s much more flavorful when it’s fresh off the cob. The kernels seem to burst right in your mouth.
Add in fresh Red Pepper, Black Beans, Green Onions, Cilantro, Garlic, and Jalapeño for a little kick. If you like it less spicy, just omit the Jalapeño. Oh and make sure you wash your hands really good after chopping the Jalapeño, I failed to do this and my fingertips were burning! Has this ever happened to you?
For the sauce or dressing, I used Mayo, Lime Juice, and Chili Powder. Just stir it all in until it’s combined.
Next mix in the Cotija cheese. If you can’t find Cotija cheese then you can use Feta, but the salad will taste very different if you substitute the cheese. Feta is similar to Cotija, but when Cotija is aged it becomes more hard and crumbly like Parmesan and has a very distinct taste.
This was my first time tasting Cotija cheese. Cotija cheese has a very salty, strong flavor, but it totally makes this salad a ‘Mexican Street Corn’ salad. Because you can’t have Mexican Street Corn without the Cotija cheese right?! At least that’s what I’ve been told.
Now make sure you save the Avocado until you’re ready to serve, other wise the Avocado turns a little brown. It’s still edible if it’s brown of course, but it just doesn’t look as pretty.
Here’s what I love about this salad:
- It can be made in about 15 minutes
- No cooking required, which is perfect for those hot summer days
- You can make this as spicy as you want
- It’s easy to pack up and take with to a potluck or BBQ
- Every bite is robust and crisp
- If you have any left overs, you can add it as a topping to tacos (which will make your taco night Amazing!)
If you try this and love this as much as I do, show some love and leave a comment below and rate it! It’s really helpful for me and other readers. 🙂
And don’t forget to take a picture and Hashtag it #Tastefulventure on Instagram so I can see!
- 4 ears of Corn husked and remove kernels from cob
- ½ Red Pepper chopped
- ⅓ cup Black Beans drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup Green Onion chopped
- ⅓ cup fresh Cilantro chopped
- 1 clove minced Garlic
- 1 Jalapeno pepper, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 3 oz shredded Cotija Cheese
- 3 Tbs Mayo (I used Just Mayo)
- Juice from 1 Lime
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- 1 Avocado peeled, cored, and chopped
- In medium size bowl add all ingredients except Avocado.
- Stir until combined.
- Add Avocado just before serving.