This Cheesy Cauliflower Spinach Dip is Low Carb and much lower in calories than a traditional spinach dip. This is so cheesy, creamy, and loaded with flavor, it’s definitely my new favorite healthy appetizer!
I’m writing this post today from my hotel room in Pensacola, which is now my ‘home’ for a few more days. As most of you know, we had to evacuate from Hurricane Matthew.
I feel very fortunate we were able to get out. A few of my friends stayed behind to ride out the storm and are without power for a few more days.
I’m not looking forward to going back because from what I’ve seen in pictures, the damage was tremendous. My sleepy little beach town looks like a bomb was dropped on it. So I’m just going to get as much rest here while I can, because I’m sure there will be lots of clean up when I get back home.
Ok enough with the news, so let’s get back to this Cheesy Cauliflower Spinach Dip…
I use Cauliflower to replace a lot of things to make dishes healthier, lower in carbs, and gluten free like this Skinny Cauliflower Mashed ‘Potato’ recipe or this Margherita Pizza with a Cauliflower Crust recipe. I’ve even used it to make ‘rice’ like in this Skinny Cilantro Cauliflower Rice recipe.
I gotta say, I was a bit skeptical when making this spinach dip. A traditional spinach dip usually has cream cheese and is loaded with calories and not very healthy.
But when I took my first bite, I was in foodie heaven! Wowza!
This was super simple to make too!
Just boil the Cauliflower, and while that’s cooking saute some Spinach up in a Cast-Iron Skillet. Yes you will need a skillet that is oven proof.
Then in a Food Processor add in Garlic and Shallots and pulse until finely chopped.
Add in the cooked Cauliflower, Lemon Juice, Coconut Milk, Nutmeg, Salt, and Pepper. Pulse until smooth and creamy.
Add this to the pan with the cooked Spinach and top it with Mozzarella. Broil on HI 2-3 minutes until it gets slightly brown on top and is bubbly.
Then proceed to dip in! I love using Udi’s Baguettes for dipping into this. But you could also use chips, or even veggies to keep it uber healthy.
If you try this let me know what you think by leaving a comment below, it’s super helpful to me and other readers!
- 1 head of Cauliflower washed, stems removed, and florets chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 5oz fresh Spinach
- 2 large cloves Garlic
- 1 medium Shallot
- 3 tsp Lemon juice (juice from about ½ a Lemon)
- 1 cup full fat Coconut Milk (I used Thai brand that comes in a can)
- 1 tsp ground Nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground Sea Salt
- ½ tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 cup + ¼ cup shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- In medium saucepan add Cauliflower florets and fill with water until cauliflower is covered.
- Bring to a boil and cook Cauliflower for 10 minutes.
- While Cauliflower is cooking, add EVOO and Spinach to a 9 inch Cast Iron Skillet and saute over med-low heat until Spinach is wilted, 5-8 min.
- In a 7 cup food processor add Garlic and Shallots.
- Pulse until finely chopped.
- Add cooked Cauliflower, Lemon Juice, Coconut Milk, Nutmeg, Salt, and Pepper.
- Pulse until smooth and creamy.
- Add in 1 cup Mozzarella, pulse 10 seconds until mixed in.
- Add Cauliflower mixture to the 9 inch Cast Iron Skillet with the Spinach.
- Stir Spinach in mixture.
- Top with ¼ cup Mozzarella Cheese.
- Broil on HI for 2-3 minutes until slightly brown on top and bubbly.
- Serve with Gluten Free Baguettes, corn chips, or veggies.