These Tilapia Fish Tacos topped with a homemade Avocado Cilantro Sauce are so addicting, you will want to make these every single night of the week!
I’m always on the hunt for a good fish taco.
Living in Florida I can pretty much find fresh fish tacos in every restaurant. I’ve tried so many different versions of fish tacos, I lost count.
I’ve tried fish tacos with Tilapia, Mahi-Mahi, Shrimp, Grouper, Salmon… I love them all. 🙂
Eating out all of the time can get pretty expensive though, so now I’m making my own fish tacos at home.
Since Tilapia was on sale this week, I decided to use this fresh fish for my tacos!
Tilapia is perfect for fish tacos, I actually think it’s the most common fish used for tacos in restaurants. It’s relatively a cheap fish to buy and it tastes delicious!
Tilapia has a sweet, mild flavor and has a medium-firm flakiness to it, which to me is absolutely perfect!
To season the Tilapia here’s what you need: (full printable recipe below)
Mix the seasoning together and sprinkle over both sides of the fillets.
Spray a baking sheet with Coconut Oil (I like the flavor of this best, but you could use any kind of non-stick spray).
Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes (flipping half way through).
While the fish is cooking you can make the yummy Avocado Cilantro Sauce!
Here’s what you need:
Coconut Milk Yogurt (plain, unsweetened)
Add all the ingredients to a Food Processor or high speed blender and pulse or blend for about 30 seconds until it’s fully mixed.
Drizzle this sauce over the fish tacos and proceed to chow down!
I also added some shredded Purple Cabbage and Avocado slices on top of of the tacos as well. You could add any of your favorite toppings to this though.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #tastefulventure on Instagram! I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
- For the Fish:
- 1½ lbs Tilapia fillets
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp dried Oregano
- 1½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Non-stick cooking spray (I used Coconut Oil)
- For the Slaw:
- ½ head of Red Cabbage sliced thin
- ½ of an Avocado pitted, peeled, and sliced
- For the Sauce:
- ½ of an Avocado pitted and peeled
- 5.3 oz Plain Unsweetened Coconut Milk Yogurt
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- 1 Tbs Lime Juice (about ½ a lime)
- ¾ tsp Sea Salt
- 12 Corn Tortillas
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place Tilapia fillets on baking sheet.
- In a small bowl mix together Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, Cumin, Salt, and Pepper.
- Sprinkle seasoning evenly over each side of the fillets.
- Bake 20 minutes flipping the fillets half way through.
- While the fish is cooking prepare the sauce.
- In a food processor or high speed blender add Avocado, Yogurt, Cilantro, Lime Juice, and Salt.
- Pulse or blend for about 30 seconds until combined.
- To each Corn Tortilla add Slaw, Tilapia, and drizzle the sauce over.
Disclaimer: there are Amazon affiliate links in this post