This Butternut Squash and Sage Pasta Sauce is so easy to make! Add it to your favorite pasta for a cozy fall meal!
I love Butternut Squash in the fall, it’s probably one of my favorite squash to eat. I’m always experimenting with new ways to cook Butternut Squash, so I thought I’d try something totally different today and turn it into a pasta sauce!
I know you may be thinking this seems like a strange concoction… but it totally works!
It came to me one day when I was making my Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto. When I made the Risotto I had roasted some Butternut Squash, and pureed half of it to mix into the Risotto. Oh my gosh, it was so creamy and delicious!
So I thought… Hey I bet I could roast some Butternut Squash and Sage, then turn it into a pasta sauce!
Which means… you guessed it… there will be more recipes to come using this Butternut Squash Pasta Sauce!! Including Gnocchi, Spaghetti, and even Pizza! Stay tuned!
But seriously if you can’t wait until then, this recipe makes about 3 cups of pasta sauce. I made the sauce on the thick side because when I cook my pasta, I cook it al dente.
Then add the drained pasta to a pan, add some of my pasta sauce, and add in some of the water the pasta was cooking in to thin out the sauce. I’ll toss the noodles in the sauce for a minute or two so it absorbs the flavor. SO GOOD!
I hope you guys love this Butternut Squash and Sage Pasta Sauce as much as I did! It’s:
- Easy to make
- and perfect for Fall!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it tastefulventure on Instagram!
I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Butternut Squash and Sage Pasta Sauce
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6
- Category: Sauce
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegan
- 5 cups cubed Butternut Squash (approximately 1 medium butternut squash)
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 2 cloves whole Garlic
- 12 fresh Sage Leaves
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Vegetable Broth (more if you like a thinner sauce)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Add Butternut Squash, Onion, Garlic, and Sage Leaves to a large sheet pan
- Drizzle EVOO, and sprinkle Salt and Pepper over everything
- Mix so everything is evenly coated
- Bake 20 minutes or until squash has softened and can be pierced easily with a fork
- Remove from oven and add to a food processor
- Add Vegetable Broth and blend until smooth
- Makes approximately 3 cups of sauce. This will keep in the fridge 3-4 days in an air tight container, or you can freeze it 4-6 months.