These Chicken and Quinoa Mason Jar Salads are perfect for Meal Prepping!
Have you guys tried meal prepping yet? I’ve been trying to do this more and more to make my life a bit easier and less chaotic around meal times.
I’m finally getting settled into my new place. I officially unpacked my last box the other day, woohoo! I am never moving again. 🙂
Moving is probably one of the most stressful things in life. I am so ready to just relax and enjoy my new home and surroundings now.
I’ve been really slacking on the cooking lately too. I feel like I’ve been living off of Turkey sandwiches and frozen Pizzas for the last few weeks.
I’m so ready to start eating healthy again!
Which brings me to this salad…
This was super easy to make.
You could even buy already cooked Chicken to make this go even faster, but I chose to make my own for this so I could season it the way I wanted.
I just sprinkled some Sea Salt and Thyme over the Chicken before cooking it. I just love the flavor of Thyme on Chicken!
While the Chicken is cooking go ahead and cook up the Quinoa!
Depending of what brand you buy will depend on cooking time and method, so just follow the directions on the box.
I prefer the Ancient Harvest brand of Quinoa. It’s Organic and there’s no pre rinsing required before cooking. Have you ever tried rinsing Quinoa? Yeah not fun, those little grains get everywhere!
If you’re trying to figure out what size Mason Jar to use, use Quart size if you want a really big salad as a main meal. Use Pint size if you want a smaller portion.
Now the trick to preparing Mason Jar salads is to start by layering the dressing at the bottom of the jar.
I whipped up my own yummy Lemon Tahini Dressing for this!
For the dressing here’s what I used: (full printable recipe below)
Fresh Lemon Juice (not the bottled kind, use fresh lemons for better flavor)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Whip up the ingredients into a Food Processor or high speed blender for about 30 seconds. Then pour evenly into each Mason Jar.
Next add in the cooked Chicken. I like to add the Chicken on top of the dressing because it really gives it a boost in flavor.
Place the lid on the jars and store them in your fridge for a few days. These are perfect for grab and go lunches!
You can shake em up and eat it directly out of the jar, or just pour it into a bowl when you’re ready to eat!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #tastefulventure on Instagram! I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Chicken and Quinoa Mason Jar Salad
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 2-4
- Category: Salad
- Cuisine: Gluten Free
- For the Salad:
- Non-stick cooking spray (I used coconut oil spray)
- 2 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1 cup shredded Carrots
- 1 cup cooked Quinoa
- 1 cup chopped Cucumbers
- 2 heaping cups Salad Greens (I used Arugula and Spinach)
- 1 Avocado skin removed, pitted and sliced
- For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup Tahini
- ½ cup fresh Lemon Juice (juice from about 2 large lemons)
- 1 Tbs EVOO
- 1 large clove Garlic
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 Quart size wide mouth Mason Jars or 4 pint size Mason Jars
- You can save time by cooking the chicken ahead of time or just buy pre-cooked chicken
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit
- Spray baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place Chicken Breasts on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle 1/4 tsp Sea Salt and 2 tsp Thyme over Chicken.
- Bake 30 minutes or until Chicken is cooked all the way through.
- Let cool and dice the Chicken into bite size pieces.
- While the Chicken is cooking make the dressing.
- In a food processor or high speed blender add Tahini, Lemon Juice, EVOO, Garlic, Salt, and Pepper.
- Pulse or blend for 30 seconds until creamy.
- Pour dressing evenly into the bottom of each mason jar.
- Then layer the rest of the ingredients into the mason jar.
- Add in order Chicken, Carrots, Quinoa, Cucumbers, Salad Greens, and top with Avocado.
- Place the lid on the jar and shake it up.
- Eat directly from the jar or pour onto a plate or into a bowl.
Disclaimer: there are Amazon affiliate links in this post