This Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup is a family favorite meal in our house now. This soup is loaded with flavor and is so healthy!
Yes I’ve been making a lot of Mexican inspired dishes lately.
In a hurry? Watch the 60 second recipe video below to learn how to make this! ↓
Ever since I got back from my cruise to Mexico, I’ve just been craving more and more Mexican food.
I’ve been back for well over a month now and still have to edit my photos from the trip, ugh! I have like a billion pictures that are sitting in Lightroom just staring back at me… Ok my goal this week is to get those edited so I can create a new travel post for you all!
This was actually my first time making Chicken Tortilla Soup. I had ordered it in a Mexican restaurant and instantly fell in love with this warm bowl of deliciousness!
When I came home I knew I had to learn how to make this.
I decided to try this in my Slow Cooker because I like how easy cooking in a Slow Cooker is. Anytime I can throw everything in one pot and have a fully cooked meal in a few hours is a good thing. 🙂
I used a 6 quart Slow Cooker for this, adding in Chicken Broth, Chicken Breasts, Beans, Salsa, Corn, Green Onions, and Seasonings (full printable recipe listed below). If you made my homemade Taco Seasoning then just use 2 Tbs of this, it is equal to all of the seasonings listed in the recipe.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. About 30 minutes before it’s done cooking I took out the Chicken and shredded it with a fork, then added it back into the soup.
I like to top this soup with homemade Corn Tortilla Chips.
I also like to use fresh Avocado slices, Cilantro, and Green Onions.
This is so versatile, you can top it with whatever your favorite toppings are. You could use Sour Cream, Cheese, or even more Salsa if you wanted to spice it up even more!
The best part about making this soup is the leftovers! This makes about 6-8 servings.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!
And don’t forget to take a picture and Hashtag it #Tastefulventure on Instagram so I can see!
- 1½ pound boneless skinless Chicken Breast
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 15oz can Black Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 16oz jar medium Salsa
- 1 10oz bag frozen Corn
- 1 bunch Green Onions divided (use green thinner part of the onions for toppings and white or thicker parts to cook in the soup - about ½ cup for cooking)
- 1 Tbs Chili Powder
- ¼ tsp Garlic Powder
- ¼ tsp Onion Powder
- ¼ tsp Oregano
- 1½ tsp Cumin
- ¼ tsp Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- Green Onion
- Tortilla Chips
- In 6 quart slow cooker or crockpot add Chicken Broth and Chicken Breasts.
- Add in Beans, Salsa, Corn, and ½ cup of the white or thicker parts of the Green Onions.
- Add Chili Powder, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Oregano, Cumin, Salt, and Pepper.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or high 3-4 until chicken is cooked all the way through.
- When there is about 30 minutes left of cook time, remove chicken and shred it, then add it back to the slow cooker and cover.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.