This Butternut Squash and Kale Stir Fry with Maple Vinaigrette comes together in under 30 minutes, it’s one of my favorite fall side dishes to make!
The count down is officially on for Thanksgiving… are you ready?
I can’t believe it’s the middle of November already. After moving to Florida a few years back, I still have a hard time adjusting to the climate change.
I never know what season it is because it always feels like summer, well except for January and February when the temp dips to 60 degrees or lower sometimes.
I’ll never forget when I first moved here from Minnesota. I had donated all of my winter clothes before moving to Florida. I had no jackets, sweaters, boots, hat, mittens left in my closet.
So when January rolled around and the bone chilling cold air from the Atlantic came blowing through everyday, I was caught a little off guard. Oh and trying to find good winter clothes in Florida? Forget it. On my last trip up to Minnesota I actually purchased a winter coat to take back with me. Well not like a ‘Minnesota winter coat’, more like a ‘Minnesota fall coat’.
Sorry I get a little side tracked sometimes, let’s get back to this Butternut Squash and Kale Stir Fry with Maple Vinaigrette!
First off I just want to talk about this 14″ Asian Spun Wok from Nordic Ware.
I love using this Wok, it works perfectly with making this Stir Fry because of its size. The high sides make this much less messy to make.
I used a whole Butternut Squash for this and not one piece went over board while stir frying! In other words, I don’t look like the Swedish Chef when using this pan (if you’re from the 80s and watched the Muppets then you know what I mean). 🙂
Just add some Coconut Oil to the Wok and heat on the stovetop over med/high heat.
Then add in the Butternut Squash and season with Sea Salt, Pepper, Paprika, and Nutmeg. I love using Nutmeg on squash, it really brings out the sweetness of it.
Stir Fry this continuously for about 20 minutes or until almost softened, you don’t want it to be mushy. When you can easily pierce it with a fork it will be done.
Now just before the Squash is done cooking (around the 15 minute mark), add in the Kale and stir fry some more.
In a small bowl whisk together the Maple Syrup, Olive Oil, and Apple Cider Vinegar.
When the Butternut Squash and Kale is done cooking, pour the Maple Syrup mixture over it and stir well.
Remove from heat, stir in the Cranberries and Pecans.
Here’s what I love about this dish:
- Every bite is sweet and savory
- This will definitely feed a crowd, you could even make it ahead and then reheat it before serving
- This can be served as a side dish or even a meal
- It’s hearty and so healthy with lots of Vitamin A and C
- It’s Vegetarian and Gluten Free
If you try this dish let me know what you think by leaving a comment below!
This post is sponsored by the wonderful folks at Nordic Ware, a family owned company with products made in the USA. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting Tastefulventure and my sponsors!Print
Butternut Squash and Kale Stir Fry with Maple Vinaigrette
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten Free
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil
- 1 large Butternut Squash skin and seeds removed, chopped into 1/2 to 1 inch size pieces, about 6–7 cups
- 1 bunch Kale stems removed and chopped into large pieces
- 1/2 tsp ground Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Tbs EVOO
- 1 Tbs Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 cup dried Cranberries
- 1/2 cup Pecans halves
- In large Wok add Coconut Oil and heat on stovetop over med-high heat.
- Add Butternut Squash, season with Salt, Pepper, Nutmeg, and Paprika.
- Stir fry continuously until almost softened, when you can pierce it easily with a fork, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in Kale when Butternut Squash is almost done, around the 15 minute mark.
- In small bowl whisk together Maple Syrup, EVOO, and Apple Cider Vinegar.
- When Butternut Squash and Kale are fully cooked, pour Maple Syrup mixture over and stir well.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in Cranberries and Pecans.