This Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup is so creamy and delicious! The flavors of the Acorn Squash and Apple combined together really gives this soup a unique flavor with a hint of sweetness.
This is Dairy Free, Gluten Free, and Vegan!
I was actually prompted to make this from one of my readers. You guys are the best, seriously!
I’ve made a few recipes with Acorn Squash, like this Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Sage Mushrooms and Cranberries. Or this Roasted Acorn Squash with Cranberry Walnut Quinoa Stuffing, but never attempted to make a soup.
One of my readers had commented on a Acorn Squash recipe I had posted on Facebook and had asked me if I had any Acorn Squash Soup recipes. I was thinking, ugh how do I not have any soup recipes for this?
So off to work I went creating this Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup!
I love making what makes my readers (you) happy, so at any time please feel free to make a suggestion.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! You guys are what keeps me going! 🙂
I started off by Roasting the Acorn Squash. I also have an easy step by step on How To Roast An Acorn Squash.
While the Squash is roasting you can prepare the rest.
In a large frying pan add the EVOO and Sweet Onion, sautéing 4-5 minutes.
Then add in the Apple, Ginger, Garlic, and sauté 3-4 more minutes until Apples are slightly softened.
Transfer mixture to a large sauce pan along with the cooked Squash removed from the shell.
Add in the Coconut Milk and blend with an Immersion Blender. If you don’t have an immersion blender you can blend this up in a blender then add it to the sauce pan. It probably won’t all fit in the blender though, so you’ll have to do it in batches.
Heat the soup over medium heat 5-10 minutes stirring often until soup is nice and hot.
I sprinkled a little Nutmeg over the top of my soup for a little extra sweetness.
Here’s what I love about this soup:
- It’s rich and creamy
- It has a bit of sweetness
- It’s healthy
- It’s Dairy Free, Gluten Free, and Vegan
- It’s hearty
- I love wrapping my hands around a nice warm bowl of this soup on these cooler winter days. Ahh it’s the little things. 🙂
- 2 small to medium size Acorn Squash or 1 large one.
- 4 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) divided
- ¼ tsp ground Sea Salt
- ¼ tsp ground Black Pepper
- ½ Sweet Onion chopped into ½ inch size pieces
- 2 Green Apples cored and chopped into ½ inch size pieces
- 1 Tbs minced Garlic
- 1 Tbs minced Ginger
- 1 14oz can full fat Coconut Milk (I prefer Thai Kitchen Organic Coconut Milk Unsweetened)
- Dash of Ground Nutmeg for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut ends off of Squash, then cut Squash lengthwise and scoop out seeds.
- Place parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Place Squash cut side up on baking sheet.
- Brush each Squash half with 2 Tbs EVOO and sprinkle with Salt and Pepper.
- Place Squash cut side down and bake for 30 minutes until Squash pierces with a fork easily.
- While Squash is cooking prepare the rest.
- In large frying pan add 2 Tbs EVOO and Onion, sauté 4-5 minutes.
- Add Apple, Garlic, Ginger, and sauté 3-4 minutes until Apple is slightly softened.
- Transfer mixture to a medium sauce pan and add in the cooked Squash removed from the shell.
- Add Coconut Milk and blend with an immersion blender for about 30 seconds until desired thickness.
- If you don't have an immersion blender you can use a blender, you may need to blend in smaller batches before adding it to the sauce pan.
- Heat on stove top over medium heat 5-10 minutes until soup is hot.
- Serve immediately.
- Sprinkle a dash of Nutmeg on top of each bowl of soup if desired.
Disclaimer: this post contains Amazon affiliate links