Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats that are so easy to make and a healthier Gluten Free alternative to noodles. Made with simple healthy ingredients and is low in calories!
Ok my foodie peeps…I am Totally in Love with Spaghetti Squash!!!
How, please tell me how or why I have never tried eating this until now?! (Kicking myself) 😛
Spaghetti Squash is like the best Gluten Free spaghetti noodle substitute I have ever found, for me it’s like a pot of gold. 🙂
In a hurry? Watch the 60 second recipe video below to learn how to make this! ↓
I found my love for Acorn Squash, and Butternut Squash a little over a year ago. I know, I know, what can I say…I’m a slow foodie learner. I’ve always heard of people talking about making Spaghetti with Spaghetti Squash and I always thought, hmmm I should try that. But for whatever reason I didn’t.
Maybe it was too hard for me to spot the Spaghetti Squash in my grocery store (it’s always close to the floor). Who knows, whatevs, ok I can knock off cooking with Spaghetti Squash now on my foodie bucket list. 🙂
So when the Spaghetti Squash came out of the oven, and I started picking at it with a fork…
OMG – I had a foodie heaven moment. It was like instant noodles with every gentle fork scrape… wowza!
Ok you guys that have cooked with this before, you probably think I’m a total dork, and yes, yes I am. 😛
I thought about taking the ‘squash noodles’ out and putting them into a bowl with some marinara sauce I had made. If you use my homemade 15 Minute Marinara Sauce for this, it’s the perfect amount – no measuring needed!
But then I thought, hey why not make use of these self made bowls that the noodles are already sitting in! (and hey who doesn’t like less clean up and less dishes right)?!
I totally loved making these! The creative juices are flowing, and I keep thinking of new recipes to try using Spaghetti Squash now!
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #tastefulventure on Instagram! I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 12 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 17 mins
- Yield: 2-4 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 large Spaghetti Squash
- 1/2 Red Pepper chopped
- 1/2 Sweet Onion chopped
- 4 cloves minced Garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Basil
- 2 1/2 cups of Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 cups shredded low fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Wash and cut Spaghetti Squash in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Place squash halves cut side up on foil lined baking sheet.
- Brush 1 Tbsp Olive Oil over insides of squash.
- Season with Salt and Pepper.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- While the squash is baking prepare filling.
- In large saute pan add 1 Tbsp Olive Oil, Red Pepper, Onion, and Garlic.
- Saute 8-10 minutes until softened.
- Add Marinara Sauce to the sauté pan and turn heat down to low.
- Let simmer until squash is done.
- Remove baked squash from oven.
- With a fork gentle scrape the insides until it forms a spaghetti like consistency.
- In layers, add Marinara Sauce, Basil, Parmesan, and Mozzarella
- Bake for 12 minutes.
If you like this recipe subscribe to our weekly newsletter and get new recipes sent directly to your inbox! Click Here To Subscribe and Get Our 3 Day Detox Guide As A Bonus!