This Coconut Squash Soup with Turmeric and Ginger is so luscious, creamy, and flavorful! This soup is true comfort food!
I was at the grocery store the other day scoping out the Pumpkin/Squash section and came across a Squash I had never seen or heard of before… a Carnival Squash.
It looks very similar to an Acorn Squash but has a cream-colored background covered with stripes and speckles of green and orange. I was intrigued, so I picked up a few to experiment with.
I found out it’s actually a hybrid of the Sweet Dumpling and Acorn Squash.
I decided to cook it the same way as I would an Acorn Squash by roasting it in the oven. I simply cut off the ends, then cut it in half lengthwise. Scooped out the seeds, spread some EVOO, Salt, and Pepper over the insides. Then baked them 25 – 30 minutes in the oven.
After doing a taste test of this Squash, I was hooked! It has a little bit more of a sweeter flavor then an Acorn Squash. So I figured it would be perfect to use in a soup!
From here I sautéed some Onion and Ginger, then added this along with the inside of the cooked Squash to my Vitamix.
Seasoned with Turmeric, Salt, and Pepper, then added a can of Full-Fat Coconut Milk.
Blended the mixture up on high speed, then added it back to my sauce pan to heat until the soup was hot again.
Garnished with a bit of Cilantro and Voila! Soup is on! 🙂
I hope you guys love this Coconut Squash Soup with Turmeric and Ginger as much as we did! It’s:
- and 100% Satisfying
More Squash Recipes
- How to Roast Acorn Squash
- Butternut Squash Chicken Chili
- Kale Quinoa Salad with Roasted Squash
- Butternut Squash and Sage Risotto
- Spaghetti Squash Pizza Boats
- Garlic Parmesan Spaghetti Squash
- Roasted Acorn Squash and Apple Soup
- Butternut Squash and Spinach Frittata
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup
- Italian Spaghetti Squash Boats
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment below, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it tastefulventure on Instagram!
I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
Coconut Squash Soup with Turmeric and Ginger
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Gluten Free, Vegetarian
- 2 small to medium Carnival Squash, you can substitute with Acorn Squash.
- 4 Tbs EVOO divided
- 1 small Sweet Onion chopped
- 2 Tbs grated Ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 14oz can Full Fat Coconut Milk unsweetened
- Sea Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Wash and trim the ends off of the Squash
- Stand Squash upright and cut in half length wise
- Scoop out seeds
- Place Squash on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Brush inside of Squash with 2 Tbs EVOO
- Sprinkle insides with Salt and Pepper
- Turn Squash over so insides are facing down on the baking sheet
- Bake 25-35 minutes or until squash is tender enough to pierce with a fork
- In a medium saucepan add 2 Tbs EVOO and heat over medium heat
- When oil is shimmering add Onion and sauté 3-4 minutes
- Add Ginger and sauté 1 minute, remove from heat
- Scoop out insides of Squash and place in Vitamix or high speed blender
- Add in Onion, Ginger, Turmeric, and Coconut Milk
- Blend on high until smooth and creamy
- Note: Always use caution when blending hot liquids
- Pour soup back into your saucepan and heat over med/low heat until soup is hot
- Taste and add more Salt or Pepper to your liking
- Garnish with Cilantro
Leave a Reply