Greek Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup also known as Avgolemono is now one of my favorite easy soups to make!
I know this yummy soup has been around for a very long time, but my first time trying this was last year when I visited San Francisco. San Francisco is an amazing foodie city where you can find restaurants that serve food from all different parts of the world at any given time of the day.
We came across a lovely Greek restaurant in the Haight-Ashbury neighborhood where I tried a Greek Lemon Rice and Chicken Soup.
My taste buds were bursting with every single bite. It was like the ultimate comfort food for me on a chilly San Francisco day after spending hours upon hours of walking the city.
If you’d like to see more of my travels to this lovely city, you can check out my 3 Day San Francisco Guide.
When I got back from San Fran, I knew I had to try making this wonderful soup. After scouring the internet for recipes and finally tweaking this soup to my own liking, I was shocked by how easy this was to make!
Check out the 60 second Recipe Video below!
I love a good comfort soup like this. I mean it has Rice, Chicken, and Lemon – what’s not to love?!
I literally cannot put this down once I start eating. A second helping? Yes Please!!
I used a 6-Quart Cast Iron Dutch Oven to make this. It’s the perfect size and makes for easy cleanup because nothing gets stuck to the sides or bottom of this pot. I love it.
I started by added some EVOO and Onion to the bottom of the Dutch Oven. Saute over med/high heat for about 5-6 minutes until Onions are translucent and softened.
Add in the Garlic and saute for about 1 minute longer.
Add in the Chicken Broth, Bay Leaf, Sea Salt, Pepper, and Chicken Breasts.
Bring to a boil over med/high heat. Cover and turn heat to med/low. Let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
Remove the Chicken and shred it. Add the Chicken back to the pot.
Add in Arborio Rice. Cover and simmer 20 more minutes.
Remove the Bay Leaf.
In a small bowl whisk together the Eggs and Lemon Juice. Slowly add in 1 ladle of the soups broth to the Egg mixture and whisk. Then add the Egg mixture to the soup.
Stir in some fresh Dill Weed.
Cook for about 5 more minutes and then serve.
Taste and add more Lemon Juice if desired.
If you try this recipe let me know what you think! Leave a comment, rate it, share it on social media, or take a picture and tag it #tastefulventure on Instagram! I LOVE seeing what you guys cook up. 🙂
- 2 Tbs EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- 1 large Sweet Onion chopped
- 3 cloves minced Garlic
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ tsp Sea Salt
- ½ tsp Black Pepper
- 2 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- ½ cup Arborio Rice
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- 3 Eggs
- ¼ cup chopped fresh Dill Weed
- In 6 Qt Dutch Oven add EVOO and Onion.
- Saute over med/high heat 5-6 min until Onions are translucent and softened.
- Add Garlic and saute 1 minutes.
- Add Chicken Broth, Bay Leaf, Salt, Pepper, and Chicken Breasts.
- Bring to boil over med/high heat, cover and turn heat down to med/low.
- Let simmer 20 minutes.
- Remove Chicken and shred.
- Add Chicken back to the pot.
- Add Rice.
- Cover and simmer 20 more minutes.
- Remove Bay Leaf.
- In a small bowl whisk together Eggs and Lemon Juice.
- Slowly add in 1 ladle of the broth while whisking, then add egg mixture into the soup.
- Add in Dill Weed and stir.
- Let cook about 5 minutes before serving.
- Taste and add more Lemon juice if needed.
- Garnish with Lemon Slices and more fresh Dill Weed.