These Low Carb Tuna Cakes are so savory. This is one of the easiest dinners I’ve made, it took less than 15 minutes to make these scrumptious Tuna Cakes!
So ever since I moved to Florida, I have been eating seafood like every single day! I have found that the seafood is much different here then from Minnesota. Well obviously, right?! I mean I’m right next to the ocean where the fish live. 🙂
This is definitely one of the best things about moving here. There’s always fresh seafood everywhere, and the price? Well let’s just say it’s much cheaper then it was in Minnesota. And the taste? So fresh, like it was just brought in on the boat – well it probably just was. 🙂
I don’t always buy fresh fish though. I like to buy frozen fish when it’s on sale.
Honestly the frozen fish here tastes just as good.
So anyway, I found some frozen Tuna Steaks on sale this week. Now I just had to figure out what to do with them…
Then I remembered a great Tuna Burger I had once before going Gluten Free, yep I ate the whole wheat-filled bun and all!
Well I decided to make this Tuna Burger, but without the bun can you really call it a burger? Ok Cake, I’ll call it Cake. Cake sounds better anyway right?! I mean who doesn’t like Cake? 😛
To make this, I just sautéed some Red Pepper, Sweet Onion, and Garlic with some EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).
Then added these to a bowl to mix with the chopped up Tuna Steaks.
Added in an Egg, Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Red Pepper Flakes, Ground Flaxseed Meal (this sort of binds it together, it’s a healthy GF alternative to bread crumbs), Olive Oil, and Lemon Juice.
Mix it all together and form into patties or cakes.
You can make smaller cakes to serve this as an appetizer, or you can make full size cakes for a meal.
I served these Low Carb Tuna Cakes over a bed of greens and topped with my 5 minute Garlic Aioli Sauce. Yum Yum Yum!
If you try this let me know what you think by leaving a comment below! It’s super helpful to me and other readers!
And don’t forget to take a picture and Hashtag it #Tastefulventure on Instagram so I can see!
- 2 fresh or frozen Tuna Steaks
- ¼ cup finely chopped Red Pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped Sweet Onion
- 1 tsp minced Garlic
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- dash of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 Tbsp ground Flaxseed Meal
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- Juice of half a lemon
- If using frozen Tuna Steaks, place frozen Tuna Steaks in a large bowl and cover with cold water to thaw. Change water every 10 minutes until thawed (about 20-30 minutes).
- In large saute pan add 1 Tbs Olive Oil, Red Pepper, Sweet Onion, and Garlic.
- Saute 5-6 min until softened, then add to medium size bowl.
- Chop thawed Tuna Steaks into small pieces and add to bowl with pepper/onion mixture.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to the bowl and mix together well with hands.
- Form into patty size, you can choose whatever size you want to make them.
- You could do small for appetizers, or large for Tuna burgers.
- Add 1 Tbs Olive Oil and Tuna cakes to large sauté pan and cook on med-high heat.
- For well done cakes cook 3-4 minutes each side.
- For more rare cakes cook 1-2 minutes each side.